Teen recovering after successful heart transplant surgery | News
DECATUR, Ga. -- Anthony Stokes is on his way to recovery Wednesday morning following a heart transplant surgery.
The 15-year-old patient went in for the operation around 6:30 Tuesday evening, and was out by midnight.
Stokes' family said he will stay in the hospital for seven to ten days. They are thankful that as of Wednesday morning, everything seemed to go very well.
The "wish kid" was spending time on the transplant wait list after being denied access to the heart transplant at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. The family received many calls from people volunteering to help.
Mother of Stokes Melencia Hamilton said her son was put on a list because he had been too healthy. The letter from the hospital addressed Stokes as a candidate "of having a history of non-compliance," meaning there was little proof he would take medicine or follow orders from a doctor.
Stokes at that time felt he was fighting for his life. In three weeks, he went from a teen who never had anything more than a cold, to a boy with chest pains fighting for his life.
"He's a young boy. He's going to make mistakes but I still think he deserves a second chance," said his mother.
In response to Hamilton's cries, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta said they would continue to work with the family and look into options for Stokes' care.